Java Software Engineer
Sun Seng David Tan
3 place Léon Blum 75011 Paris France
+33 621 024 173 firstname.lastname@example.org @sunsengdavidtan
I have 10 years of experience as a Java developer. In addition, I have worked for software vendors such as Nuxeo, Thales in Paris, and Economic Outlook in Australia.
I am fortunate to have had an opportunity to work with Nuxeo, an open source software vendor. For its many advantages, I am very inclined to continue working with and promoting the use of Free and Open Source Softwares. I am currently an Eclipse committer for the Eclipse Che project.
I believe that improving his own tools is part of the job of every developer. It’s a long term investment but it’s worth it. I’ve been involved in the development of the Codenvy Cloud IDE platform including Eclipse CHE extensions. I’ve also been involved in improving Nuxeo IDE plugin for Eclipse IDE when working on Nuxeo Platform. Bash and now Docker are my best friends for speeding my everyday tasks.
While working at Nuxeo and Economic Outlook over 6 years, I gained valuable experience while working on and contributing to projects with Eclipse RCP.
As a Nuxeo core developer and trainer, I position myself as a “Nuxeo expert”.
I am fond of TDD and BDD and believe that even documentations should be the result of tests. In addition, I also have experience as a SCRUM master at Nuxeo.
As one of the main trainers at Nuxeo, I have a great opportunity to share my knowledge with other people, especially my team mates, which is a responsibility that I enjoy having.
- Paris JUG team member
- Google summer of code 2016 initiator for subjects around Eclipse Cloud projects (Eclipse Che and Flux)
- Speaker at several international conferences:
- CheConf18: The Path to Pair Programming in Che with Atom Teletype
- Github constellation Paris 2017: Che demo show case
- EclipseCon Fr 17: Simplified Open Source Contributions with Che
- CheConf16: The Path to Pair Programming in Che
- JavaOne 2016: Pair Programming with Eclipse Cloud Development Top Projects
- Devfest Nantes 2016: Pair programming with Eclipse Cloud Development top projects
- JugSummerCamp 2016: Simplified Open Source Contributions with Eclipse Che
- Eclipse Con NA 2016: Pair programming in the Cloud with Eclipse Che, Eclipse Flux, Orion, Eclipse IDE and Docker - Video
- Snowcamp 2016: Pair programming with Cloud IDEs
- Eclipse Con Europe 2015: Join our live pair programming session with Eclipse Che, Eclipse IDE, Eclipse Orion, Eclipse Flux and Docker - Video
- Jugsummercamp 2015: Live editing and pair programming Eclipse Cloud Development top projects - Video
- Devoxx France 2015: Dévelopement Java avec un IDE Cloud: YES WE CAN
- Eclipse Con France 2015: Code in the cloud with Eclipse Che and Live editing and pair programming Eclipse Cloud Development top projects
- Eclipse Con Europe 2014: Introduction to Eclipse Che
- Breizhcamp 2013: BDD and Concordion
- Nuxeo World 2013: Nuxeo XML components and extension points completion in Nuxeo IDE. Online video: http://www.nuxeo.com/resources/xml-extension-point-completion-in-nuxeo-ide/
- OW2Con 2013: NoSQL Landscape in collaboration with Couchbase
- EclipseCon 2008 and Nuxeo DevDay 2008: Nuxeo Apogee
Eclipse CHE, Flux, Orion, Eclipse RCP, SWT/JFace, OSGi, PDE, JDT, Birt, GEF
Java JEE, platform
Nuxeo, GWT, JaxRS, Freemarker, Tomcat, CDI, Seam, JSF, Struts, JSP
Java, Scala, C++, Python, Php, C, C#, VB
Selenium Webdriver, SWTBot, Selenium 1, Concordion, Jmeter, FunkLoad, Open STA
SCRUM, Agile, TDD, BDD, Continuous improvement, Design Pattern
Source management and CI
Git, Github, Maven, Jenkins, Mercurial HG, Subversion, CVS, Subversion, Saga, Clear Case
System and Database
Docker, PostgreSQL, Couchbase, Administration (Debian/Ubuntu)
Selenium Webdriver Trainer, Nuxeo Trainer
Red Hat (Paris, France)
that is cool
Serli (Poitier, France)
Serli is a IT services and consultancy company located in France.
Leading the development of Paris maintenance team.
- Setting up Docker environments for developers
- Docker registry
- Docker images with production and preproduction like environments
- Internal Boot2docker guide
- Migrating SVN projects to Git Stash
- Java refactoring
- Load testing
- Improving delivery process
- Integration tests with Webdriver
- Fixing bugs
- Datasource plugin - demo
- Codenvy plugin for Eclipse
- Contribution Workflow plugin - demo
- Eclipse Che Flux integration:
Serli team is also behind these projects:
Serli team helps Codenvy team to release the 3.x.x versions.
Practice Insight (Australia, Perth)
Sun has been taking part to the development of a case and document management software. The application imports, indexes file documents daily used by lawyers. It provides a GUI it easily edit, share and search documents such as scanned pdf files, office documents, emails, etc. The application is based on Nuxeo and GWT.
- Integration of the Open Source OCR system “Tesseract” into Nuxeo. Making scanned pdf files searchable through Nuxeo.
- Nuxeo Drive integration into the GWT application (Drive edit link)
- Indexation of Ms Outlook “MSG” file into Nuxeo
- Documents bulk import process optimization
- Packaging of the module to simplify the installation in Nuxeo (using Nuxeo Marketplace mechanism)
- Setting up a Jenkins CI for the project: it compiles, tests and deploys new versions of the application on a remote test server.
Writing of an diagnostic tools for the open source SSO connector “Jaaslounge”. Provides informations to help fixing misconfiguration of the SSO connector.
Java Community Process / Jboss Weld Project (CDI reference implementation)
During the upgrade to OSGi 4.3.1, Sun is taking part on improvements of Weld-OSGi in collaboration with RedHat team.
Implementation of a new feature in Nuxeo IDE (Eclipse): code completion of extension points in Nuxeo XML components. Online video: http://www.nuxeo.com/resources/xml-extension-point-completion-in-nuxeo-ide/
Sun is giving trainings on the functional test tool Selenium Webdriver
Nuxeo is a open source software vendor. Its main product, called Nuxeo EP, is a highly modular platform to build your own content application servers.
Nuxeo Core Java developer
As a core developer I’ve been part of the development of
- Nuxeo IDE: Eclipse tools for Nuxeo plugin development https://github.com/nuxeo/nuxeo-ide
- Nuxeo EP, DM, CMF, Webengine nuxeo.github.com
- Nuxeo RCP Apogee hg.nuxeo.org/nuxeo-apogee. An Eclipse RCP platform to build Destop applications that connect to a Nuxeo server.
- Live Edit: Libre/Open/Ms Office softwares integrated component
- Nuxeo Functional Test: Nuxeo Test framework based on Selenium Webdriver
Nuxeo Java developer - Production team
Press Association (London)
As part of the development team, we used Eclipse RCP, Nuxeo Apogee and Nuxeo EP to build their news content management system.
- Nutxt: PA Teletext news content system
- Fuel: PA Digital news content system
- MPA: HA and clustering on top of FUEL
IRSN - French Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety (Paris)
- Code and data migration of IRSN mail management system to Nuxeo CMF.
- Load Testing and optimization.
Scrum master of the Nuxeo team for PA and IRSN projects
Nuxeo Training department manager
In charge of maintaining Nuxeo training material github.com/nuxeo/NuxeoTraining
50+ trainings and consulting over 5 years
Economic Outlook Ltd (Adelaide, Australia)
Eclipse RCP Java developer
- Spike 3: Rewriting of a childcare management software system based on Eclipse RCP and Glassfish.
- Adserve: Developing a Eclipse RCP software for maintaining and following the advertisements of a sport news website.
Metaware Scopteam (Paris, France)
Load testing consultant
- Enim (Lorient, France): Testing and optimization of an application migrated to Java.
Economic Outlook Ltd (Adelaide, Australia)
Eclipse RCP Java developer
Creating a rich client application to display and export reports.
Thales Communication (Colombes, France)
Development in C++ on a French army software (MARTHA).
Creating a web application which shares bookmarks and files
Study of Struts Framework
Drawing up an article of introduction to Struts.
Installation and deployment of SharePoint Portal Server.
Development and integration of portlets with WebServices and .NET technologies.
Ingénieurs 2000. Marne La Vallée University.
Master in engineering - IT and network. 2001-2004
IUT de Montreuil. Paris 8 University.
Technical diploma in IT. 1999-2001
St. Mark’s International College.
First Cambridge in English. B. 2005
Professional knowledges Certificate in Software Qualification. 2005
Graduated with HSC. Major in Mathematics. 1999
Hobbies & Interests
- Gaming (PS3/Wii/PC)
- Playing guitar and ukulele
- Reading manga
- Wakeboarding, snowboarding, rollerblading, and surfing